As promised in Part One of this Letter to My Future Husband Series the topic of this week is sex outside of marriage.
First Corinthians Six is a powerful chapter for clarifying sexual immorality.
- Verse 16 makes reference to, "the two shall become one flesh" passage in Genesis chapter Two, in a manner that pinpoints the result of sexual intercourse.
"Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her? For, "the two", He says, "shall become one flesh." (1 Corinthians 6:16)
- There is a joining, a oneness that happens when two people have sex that is only supposed to happen between married people.
If you've ever experienced the emotional heartbreak of being deserted or breaking up with someone you've engaged in sexual intercourse with, then you know the connection is much more than a single act.
When you know God as Your Heavenly Father or desire to know Him in this way, one of the most comforting things we can understand is His Fatherly love and protection. That love prompts His commands.
Our Heavenly Father's commands about sexual immorality are very straightforward:
"Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body." (1 Corinthians 6:18)
- For the sake of your salvation and the future marriage you are looking for, do not engage in sex outside of marriage.
- Walk in purity and pray for your future husband to do the same.
- Switch up your habits and friends if the outcome of being around them or doing these things is cultivating lust and a permissive attitude towards sex outside of marriage.
In this short post I am only touching the surface of what Scripture instructs concerning sex. This is written for the person with a desire to prepare for marriage in a way that honors God's Word.
Study the Word of God to gain a clear understanding about what God says about sex (1 Corinthians 6; Leviticus 18; Matthew 5:27-32)
Please don't forget to check out the song Letter to My Future Husband as we go through this series.
Lyric of the Week:
"I'm gon keep my heart locked and my legs closed til you show me something."